Acne scarring is difficult to treat. There are many methods to approach this problem, but quite a few of the currently utilized treatment options tend to fall short of desired results. Options utilizing lasers, in particular the fractional type of laser, can be most expensive. Here we present three very different yet complimentary ways to treat acne scarring.
1. The first option describes an individual's intensive use of a strong retinoid, Tazarotene, or Tazorac. We have included in this section this person's comments from a website chatroom. There are many who may have a preferential view on the use of topical medication for acne scarring, and regular use of the retinoid class has shown to impart a smoothness to the skin, thereby improving scarring that does not extend deeply into the epidermal layers.
"Don't get Laser Resufacing!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't get Fraxel. I went to a consultation today with a doctor who does Fraxel and he was very honest and said that the results are never higher than 50% improvement. As an acne scar sufferer, I know of another way to improve your scars by 75%. So Lasers aren't worth it. He also said they take 6 months to see improvments. Proven method: If you have depressed scars you need to be on max strength Tazorac (Twice a day). I know this is a lot but it is necessary to repair your damaged skin. You must massage the scar(s) daily for several minutes if possible when you apply the Tazorac. Also be on a Glycolic Acid toner if possible to help exfoliate even more. The more you exfoliate and massage, the more the scar will fade. It will take many months to a year..but it can yield a >75% improvement with this method. However, you can't miss a dose of the Tazorac for this to work. And you must firmly massage the scar daily!! For minor depressed scar I've seen them GO AWAY in about 2 months with this method. So massaging daily with Tazorac WILL COMPLETELY eliminate SOME scars....maybe not all..but it WILL eliminate some minor depressed scars that wouldn't go away otherwise. Hope this helps. There is no need to pay for laser resurfacing which may cause discoloration or other problems. Just don't do it. Dermatologists have PROVEN that massaging daily with a topical retinoid will absolutely reduce the scars."
2. The second treatment utilizes a very versatile filler, Restylane Vital, in a recently described usage for acne scarring. This new approach to acne scarring is well described in the article below and is one of the most promising of the newer state-of-the-art treatment approaches to this problem. The vast array of different MIcro Needling techniques would in our opinion, not demonstrate as good results as can be obtained by the inclusion of hyaluronic acid in Restylane Vital.
3. The third treatment technique for acne scarring is chemical peels; in fact the present-day chemical peels are often considered to be one of the best options for acne scar treatment and are becoming more and more popular because of how effective they are without complications. Read more about the chemical peels by clicking the green bar below.
4. Dermal Fillers. Dermal fillers can be used to lift depressed scars for a temporary smooth skin appearance. Dermal fillers are also considered a solution that is better fit for less defined acne scarring.
5. Microneedling. Microneedling has continued to grow in popularity throughout the years. The benefits of pricking the skin for collagen production and improving the skin's absorption of topical treatments, makes for a smoother overall skin appearance.
All of the options described above are available through our Schaumburg office. Call today 847-843-0200.